Test Events and Testing Procedure:
In general, recorded test results are the best of 3 trials. The test events are in 3 groups-raw power, technical speed/power and specific flexibility. While there are starting locations for the jumps, there is no "foul" jumps or throws- jump measurements are taken from the take off point while throw measurements are taken from a designated foul line. At least two "officials" are needed for the testing; one at the starting point of the run, jumps and throws and another to mark the landing point of the throws and jumps or at the finishing line of the run. Throws and jumps are measured in feet and inches; flexibility tests are measured in centimeters. Allow a few minutes for specific warm-ups for each test event before actual testing efforts are made. Test events are in the order listed below. Scores are similar to a decathlon: 8,000 pts or more are considered good.
1) Backward overhead shot. (16 lb for men/4kg for women) Throw from on a shot toe board into shot landing area; measure as a normal shot competition.
Scoring values- 40'= 600pts 45'=720 50'=840 55'=960 60'=1080 65'=1200 add/subtract 2 pts/ inch.
2) Standing long jump. Jump from edge of LJ landing pit; toes are allowed to hang over edge to give some leverage. Measure from heel landing to pit edge.
Scoring values- 7'= 840pts 8'= 960 9'= 1080 10'= 1200 add/subtract 10 pts/ inch.
3) Standing triple jump. This is to simulate the last 3 steps of the throw; L-R-L for a right hand thrower. Start w/ rt. foot forward (fig 1) and step into left foot jump (fig 2), then right foot jump (fig 3) then final left foot jump (fig4) to a double foot landing (fig 5). This is done off a LJ runway into a sand landing area and measured from heel landing to toe of left foot takeoff.
Scoring values- 27'=486pts 28'=504 29'=522 30'=540 31'=558
add/subtract 3 pts/inch.
4) 2-hand overhead shot. (4kg for men/3kg for women) Throw from on a shot toe board into shot landing area. Arch back as far as possible (fig 6) and deliver shot w/ both hands in a soccer style throw (fig 7); measure as a normal shot competition.
Scoring values- 45'=540 pts 50'=600 55'=660 60'=720 65'=780
add/subtract 2 pts/inch
5) 3 step 600/400 gm ball throw. Throw from javelin runway or on track; start with right foot in front (for right hand thrower) and step 1 is onto left foot, then normal crossover and plant to deliver ball from behind foul line. Stepping over the foul line is allowed; measure throw as in normal javelin competition.
Scoring values- 190'=390pts 200'=405 210'= 418 220'=443 230'=458 240'=476
add/subtract 1 pt/8 inches
6) 30m crossovers. Done with javelin in hand on the track. Stopwatch started at first movement (indicated by official at starting point) of the athlete. Timed to the 1/10 second.
Scoring values- 4.0=740pts 4.2=720 4.4=700 4.6=680 4.8=660 5.0=640
add/subtract 10 pts/.1 seconds
7) Back arch. Anchor toes against a firm edge so they don't slide. Arch up into hands and toes support (fig 8) and walk hands in towards heels as close as possible while keeping hips up as high as possible. Measure from finger tips to toe anchor.
Scoring values- 40cm=995pts 50cm=895 60cm=795 70cm=695 80cm=595
add/subtract 10 pts/1 cm
8) Standing throw position. This test is a bit subjective in evaluation. The athlete assumes a good delivery position, trying to get into the "bow" position that they would from running into the plant (fig 9). The "official" looks for good position as it simulates the actual throw, not just reaching the throwing hand back close to the back foot. Measure from ground to the throwing wrist.
Scoring values- 60cm=1120pts 70cm=1050 80cm=980 90cm= 910 100cm=640
add/subtract 7 pts/1 cm
9) Shoulder roll w/ javelin. Standing with javelin held at arms length (fig 10), pass the javelin overhead (fig 11) and behind the back (fig 12), then return to start. Keep the elbows locked and both hands pass overhead together; don't let one hand go over then the other. Measure distance between the index finger knuckles.
Scoring values- 40cm= 995pts 50cm=895 60cm=795 70cm=695 80cm=595
add/subtract 10 pts/1 cm
By: Jeff Gorski Founder/Head Coach of KLUB KEIHAS
Ex USATF Javelin Development Chair